Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Will You Answer, Sir, Or Do You Intend to Continue Licking Your Paws?"

Since Senator Obama is (a) terrified of facing off against John McCain in a townhall-type debate, and, somewhat incongruously, (b) always harping about what a big, tough exponent of "Chicago Rules" he is, then I believe it might be appropriate for McCain to adopt a tactic once used by the last Republican mayor of Chicago, Big Bill Thompson, who, during the 1923 election, "held a debate between himself and two live rats which he used to portray his opponents".

Totally unrelated update: Alarming News asks an excellent question.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

G'day Paco! Happy feet Friday to you and yours!

Hmmm, that Bill Thompson sounds eerily like Obama. I guess nothing changes but the day.

*Hope this comment hasn't repeated. left one before that doesn't seem to show.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this tradition is still observed:

"Upon Thompson's death, two safe deposit boxes in his name were discovered to contain nearly $1.5 million in cash."

Hmmm, Obama did opt out of public financing.

Retread

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't use live rats, were I McCain. I'd use a stuffed gerbil.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it amazes me that anybody can look at Bambi's career arc in Daley City and somehow come to the conclusion that he's NOT somebody's bought-and-paid for sock puppet.

Hope springs eternal, I guess.

Paco said...

Hullo, there, I.T.!

Yeah, I could easily see The One working with the likes of Big Bill (if the latter hadn't been a Republican, of course).